Friday, July 20, 2007

Out on the Road

Richard and I are headed out on the road with our Beat Green band mates this afternoon, headed for Manchester NH to play at the third Friday series at the Mill City Contra. Our friend Chris Weiler invited us to play after hearing us at the Norlands earlier this year.
In other news, I have begun a new journey toward self development! I will be focusing my energies in some specific areas over the next 6-12 months in an effort to become proficient in a few things as well as explore some other activities of interest. I've been a dental assistant for 20 years now, and had a wonderful career... but it's time to shift gears.
One of the main areas I want to develop and grow is in my fiddling. I have started studying with a great contradance fiddler, Elaine Malkin, with the goal of having a solid style and rhythm for playing at contradances. I've also begun my quest for a new fiddle, one of my own choosing, one that speaks to me and also conveys my message to those who listen. Part of the process of the fiddle-search is also to learn more about the fiddle itself... the craftsmen, the wood, the design... all of which creates an instrument with a unique sound and personality.
There are some other things I want to do over the next few months~ take some classes, make some quilts, work in the garden, write, learn about photography, walk or run every day (I've started running again and manage to get out a couple times a week, usually on the days I'm not working). I've worked a good part of my life, and enjoyed the different aspects of that, and I'm a little nervous about being unemployed... but only a little bit :) The challenge for me is to use this next year wisely, be open to learning, channel my energies in positive directions, and to develop a focus for living that can offer financial sustainability over the next half-century of life ahead of me. Pretty exciting, huh?
I got to see little A yesterday after my meeting at the fiddle shop. What a joyous feeling to be watching him play with his friends, have him turn around and see me, and break into this big, glorious smile and walk over to me to give me a hug.
Have I mentioned lately that I love being a Gram?
Out on the Road is a tune from the Portland Collection, Volume Two.

No comments: