Friday, June 16, 2006

Puncheon Camps


This photo is archived from last years Maine FiddleCamp. In the background you can see the dining hall, one of many buildings on the Camp NEOFA grounds where this event takes place. You'll also see many ages represented here, and get an idea of the community of musicians gathered together for this great weekend.
Richard and I will be participating in this years Maine Fiddle Camp June weekend, and have been looking forward to it for months now! We'll be learning new tunes, improving technique, hearing great music, laughing and joking around, camping, and sharing meals and stories with friends. I have been fortunate enough to have attended several years in the past, and no matter what the weather has been, I've had a great time. This weekend looks to be sunny and warm, which makes it even more fun.
This weekend also celebrates Father's Day, and I just can't say enough about my dad. He's been there for all the big, and little, things in my life... always supportive, encouraging, and also offering advice and comments along the way... Thanks Dad! Traditionally, the years I've gone to Fiddle Camp, part of my gift to my dad has been to stop by and play the new tunes I've learned... I'm looking forward to doing that this year with Richard. We'll be catching up with R's dad too, and may play some tunes there!
I was looking up the word puncheon, and this is what I found... all definitions seem likely to apply to this weekends camping, though the cask would have to be filled with non-alcoholic drink to comply with camp rules, haha...
pun·cheon1 (pŭn'chən) n.
A short wooden upright used in structural framing.
A piece of broad, heavy, roughly dressed timber with one face finished flat.
A punching, perforating, or stamping tool, especially one used by a goldsmith.

[Middle English punchon, from Old French ponçon, ponchon, from Vulgar Latin *pūnctiō, pūnctiōn-, punch, from *pūnctiāre, to pierce, from Latin pūnctus, past participle of pungere, to prick.]
pun·cheon2 (pŭn'chən) n.
A cask with a capacity of from 72 to 120 gallons (273 to 454 liters).
The amount of liquid contained in a puncheon.
[Middle English ponchon, from Old French poinçon, poinchon, punch, cask (probably because the casks were inspected and marked with a punch).

No comments: