Saturday, July 01, 2006

Hull's (non)Victory


The hull's were defeated today by the huller!

Strawberries are in season! Last year I didn't make time to go pick berries, and I regretted it quite a lot. True, they take a little time to pick, and then when you get home they need to be hulled, rinsed, sliced, and frozen (or however you choose to keep them) but it's so worth the time and effort. I went to the local strawberry fields here in Wayne (Stevenson's) and picked with my mom, my sister, my niece, and my great-nephew, Gavin, this morning. We had a really nice time together.
One thing that I got recently as a gift was a strawberry huller. Up until today, I'd always removed the hulls with my thumbnails (which always ended up being uncomfortable from being pulled so much) or by using a knife (which is a little awkward). This huller rocks! Quick and easy, and no annoying discomfort aftward.

We'll freeze our berries in zip lock bags. This makes them easy to thaw and easy to use... a tasty treat no matter what time of year!

Hull's Victory can be found in several books including the Fiddler's Fakebook, the New England Fiddler's Repertoire, and Phillips Collection of Traditional American Fiddle Tunes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

stawberry and cream, strawberry and ruhbarb pie, strawberry pie, strawberry shakes, strawberry pancakes, strawberry and spam, ...... We love Strawberries! Save some for me.

Fiddler said...

We are saving some for you... We can hardly wait until you're here to enjoy them!