Friday, October 05, 2007

After the Fall

Jen's getting things ready for the new baby, due to arrive in March. Her plan is to move A into a new room with a twin bed, and continuing to use the nursery as a nursery, and to move her and J into what has been the spare room... this involves moving some things around, painting walls and refinishing floors. We cleared space in the spare room Thursday night and were ready to get to work pretty early on Friday. While Jen prepped the window trim and walls, I sanded the floor in what will be the new master bedroom. Once the floor was sanded we laid out newspaper and started painting... Jen worked on the ceiling and I primed the walls. After that dried, we started in on the khaki colored wall paint (which looks beautiful). I was rolling, and Jen was cutting in with a brush. As I was making my way across the room with a roller in one hand and the paint tray in the other, and I stepped on something. Not wanting to trip or fall, I quickly picked up my foot and stepped a bit further away and again stepped on something, but this time I didn't have any balance to reset my foot and I went down. Still, I hadn't spilled one drop of paint... until I landed on my butt and my wrist, and then the impact caused the paint in the tray to plop up and out, all over me and the newspapers. Arghhhhh. I felt awful. But, Jen was calm cool and collected and helped get things cleaned up and we continued on until it was time to pick up Avery.
Whenever I'm doing a painting project, I envision tripping or falling off a ladder or something where paint goes flying. I've seen remnants of such escapades (even in my own home) where someone had an accident with lavender paint, now dried on the tan carpet! But as many times as I've had the thought enter my mind, I've had just as many silent talks with myself to "be careful so that doesn't REALLY happen!". Where was that little voice when I needed it, haha?
After the Fall comes from the Curvy Road to Corinth.

No comments: