Thursday, July 03, 2008

Earth Star


Richard and I went exploring the wilds of Wayne and ended up at a desert-y sand dune not far from where we live. The dune is a glacial deposit left behind in a long esker-like ridge. The vegetation was primarily gray birch, white pine, black cherry, and poplar with some grasses and other things. As I was sketching some trees, Richard brought me some treasures, unidentified until I researched further at home and found out they are Collared Earthstars, an inedible mushroom. I was surprised because I thought they looked like a split nut. These Earthstars are primarily found in woodland litter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your sketches! I printed an 8x10 of the 2 figures watching the moon over the trees. It's hanging near my desk in the office. Keep 'em coming!