Monday, June 18, 2007

Waltz of the Floating Bridge

This photo was taken sometime around 1965, at Baxter State Park. There I am in the forefront with two of my sisters, Deb and Kathy, on either side of me. Behind us is one of the Wight boys. The Wights lived nearby, and our families frequently took summer vacations together. It was kind of like having brothers that didn't really live with us!
This particular bridge, a rope suspension bridge with a boardwalk, played a huge part of my growing up and younger adult life. What you don't see in this photo is me crossing the the bridge over the river, and having the bridge being swung by the Wight's father! Even though I know he thought it was funny, I was scared... truly scared, the way that fear grabs your soul and imprints itself, lying just beneath the surface of all the fun & games of life, ready to rear its ugly head and suck the breath out of you... which is what happened whenever I encountered being up high. I could just imagine what it would be like to drive off a bridge, or fall off a cliff, or step off a ladder... very disconcerting. I don't know really how I managed to get past most of that. I suppose it happened over a long period of time, of just going a little further or a little higher... pushing myself to the limit and a little beyond. There are still times when I choose not to go higher, or venture further toward the edge. But there are just as many times that I allow myself to try a little more, and I'm always rewarded with a sense of accomplishment along with the more tangible goal of reaching a new place.
Waltz of the Floating Bridge can be found in the 2nd Waltz Book.

No comments: