Friday, June 01, 2007

June Apple

Happy June 1st :)
You've probably noticed the lack of recent posts... Hopefully no one has removed the tag from their list of favorites from lack of anything new!
We have our garden planted! The seedlings that were started in the greenhouse have been set out, and the seeds were put in just this week. Today is overcast and showery, just right for the warm earth to moisten up and get things growing!
The work pace has been picking up steadily (it was already busy enough) but it seems to become difficult to manage at times. My energy level has been lower than I like, and my creative energies have felt stopped up. What to do? Many options are being discussed and explored, and a new five year plan is in the final stage of development... very exciting and also very scary... like getting ready for a big adventure without knowing where the plane is going to land!
We've been playing a lot of music, and developing some new directions for what we play, where we play it, and how it gets presented. We've had a lot of fun with the jam group, and are getting more opportunities all the time. It's been pretty informal up to now, open to anyone who wants to join us, but the impact of that is we never really know who will be showing up to play. So we're working with a smaller group with the intention of being a band with a name and a sound... we'll see how that goes over the summer!
We've screened in the back porch, and re-hung the door so it's "bug-tight". It is a lovely space to sit in the evenings, listening to the night sounds of the forest and feeling the cooler breezes after a hot day. It's also made a nice place for Avery to be able to play, getting some fresh air and benefit of the outdoors without being in the sun and getting bitten by black flies and mosquitos!
I've taken out the banjo with the commitment to learn two songs well enough to play in the band. I figure once I get the two songs learned, I'll be able to add to that repertoire. The two songs? "Old Joe Clark" and "The Judge". I've also had the mandolin out... and practiced some with the harmonica. Not presentable yet, but I can see/feel/hear the possibilities!
We made it to Jeff's jam last night in Pownal. We haven't been there in ... oh, maybe forever! I blame that on my lack of energy at the end of the work-week. Peter's on vacation this week, and I put in a short day at the office yesterday so when it came time to decide whether to head south or not, I was enthusiastic about going! We had a great time seeing friends and playing tunes.
I have a new computer. You might remember that my former PC went kaput quite a while ago... then R gave me a laptop to use which then went kaput... and then let me use his other laptop. Now R's PC has gone kaput and he needed to use that laptop for his work. He's ordered components to build a new PC for himself, and purchased another laptop for my personal use. This is really exciting, but will also take a little bit of transition time to get my old files moved over, and learn the new operating system.
I think that's about it for catching up. I've felt bad about not posting, but I also didn't have my thoughts together... the times I'd sit down to write I would come up with nothing interesting. So, I've allowed myself to take a break until the "creative-writing-juices" were un-dammed and ready to flow! Thanks to everyone who has continued to check for something new to read :)
June Apple comes from the Fiddler's Fakebook.

No comments: