Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sweet Journeys

I check my email each morning. There are sometimes e-messages from friends and family, often a post from a forum on dance calling and related issues, and ALWAYS a motivational message. These words have been a wonderful start to my day for over a year now... not that I have a great day EVERY day, but it helps. Each idea is presented to me as a woman, as an individual, but there are some that seem appropriate to use as a couple, and this is one of them, so I thought I'd share it with my readers.
The idea is to have a Happiness Box, a container that contains a few tangible momentos from happy times... things like a picture of a loved one, a picture drawn by a child, a seashell from a great day at the beach... and whenever I have a "down" day or a moment of feeling discouraged I could open the box, and have reminders of the good things in my life.
Well, I was thinking, how cool it would be for a couple to create a Happiness Box for themselves. Every couple in a committed long term relationship, regardless of how long they've been together, of the dynamics of their relationship, have a history together, and that history includes happy times. A scrapbook is one way to capture those moments with photographs, but I like the idea of collecting and saving other things too. Imagine a box that you've chosen together where you keep your treasures... a special rock from a hike, a seashell from the beach, a photo of the two of you at a family event, the stub of a concert ticket... and whenever you're feeling like you aren't getting along that well, you can go into the box and take a look at all the stuff you've done together and remember how much fun you really do have together.
I know for myself that I can get pretty caught up in the activities of living, and I forget about having bouts of childlike, playful fun with my life-partner. Finding ways to evoke smiles and laughter is important... and maybe the reminder of past joy is a good start to creating new moments of happiness... new sweet journeys together.
Sweet Journeys comes from the Waltz Book, first volume.

No comments: