Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Gracie

I got this tune, "Gracie" from a friend and it's a great tune. I love how it sounds, and I love how my fingers feel as I'm playing it. Some tunes are like that, they play like I'm slicing butter that is just the right temperature and consistency... not too soft, and not so hard they crumble when you go to work it. Anyway, Gracie is like that. The thing is, it was given to me without chords. It did have a key signature of one flat... and it had a few notes that were to be played #... and it had the feel of another reel, Julia Delaney... which is also has a key signature of one flat. Julia Delaney is in the key of Dm, so I had this idea that we could use the same chords when playing Gracie... it worked! The thing is, there are things in life that aren't totally obvious and we have to find the similarities, things we recognize, and then make some assumptions in the way we decide we're going to go forward. I love forward progress, and I love being able to make some basic assumptions based on past experience and knowledge and, as my uncle says, "Drop the blade and go".
Gracie was written by a friend of a friend.

No comments: