Friday, May 12, 2006

Here and There

Club-E just finished a two day retreat, part of which was facilitated by a practice management consultant who came into our office to observe... and then spent a day sharing her impressions with us on how we can strive and achieve a higher level of excellence. Great information, for work and just as importantly, for me to use at home.
Personal integrity is HUGE for me. I know when I'm living it, and I know when I'm not. I recognize excellence when I see it, and I know when I am personally giving it out. I'm not talking about perfection. What I am talking about is excellence, about doing and being my best, no matter what. My difficulty lies in that in doing and being excellent, it often challenges those around me, and creates a sense of insecurity. Many times, I've taken on that I'm responsible for creating their insecurity, and in order to make others more comfortable, I back down on the things I KNOW are important. What suffers are the details of living a wonderful life.
When I am doing and being my best, I am sending the message "I CARE SO MUCH ABOUT MY LIFE, AND THOSE AROUND ME, AND EVERYTHING CONNECTED TO IT, THAT I WILL DO ANYTHING TO MAINTAIN IT AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL POSSIBLE".

At work, we have as a group, made the decision to let go of the past and step forward with some exciting new leadership, implementation of new ideas, and enhancing some of the things that are already working pretty well. Although there may be some lapse into old habits, as a team we'll re-group and get everyone back on track because we have chosen this together. We will not be able to let go of the vision of teamwork, delivery of dentistry, or personal excellence & commitment. Not one of us can do it alone, it takes the commitment of everyone involved.
The same is true at home. To achieve any measure of success, a commitment to doing and being excellent is imperative. It also takes a commitment from everyone who participates to invest their personal level of excellence to do and be whatever it takes to be a part of this household.

Before we found this property, I had a vision of a communal living experience along the lines of the Nearings. In my mind it would require that any participants, for however long they were here, would voluntarily assume responsibility for sharing communal space as well as joining in whatever project was in progress. The retreat has challenged me to decide what level of excellence I choose for myself, how I can achieve that, and what my personal commitment and participation will be. It has challenged me to accept my personal standards of excellence for what they are, personal standards. I don't have to apologize for them, I don't have to cover them up to make them look like something else, and I don't have to let go of them because someone else's level isn't the same. But I do have to be committed to do my personal best at all times. Finally, I am challenged to realize that if I truly want to have our home open to others, I have to accept that other people will give their absolute best over the time that they are here, on their own schedule to be sure, but that they will be giving their own personal best.
It's not about being better, or perfect, being smarter, or being anything other than my personal best. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably neither here nor there, but in the scheme of things in my world, it's everything.
Here and There is from the Phillips Collection of Traditional American Fiddle Tunes.

1 comment:

Fiddler said...

Justine, I just love being around you... you understand what I'm trying to say, and we share common (not identical, haha) goals and values... You and T-Madd are truly lights in my life... Looking forward to a great New Beginning!