Friday, July 27, 2007

Hunting the Buffalo

Well, not buffalo exactly... well okay, not even close to buffalo! I have begun my serious search for a new fiddle. For those who know us, you may be thinking "What? ANOTHER fiddle???" Well, yeah... I still use my beginner fiddle from time to time, and most often this past year I've been playing a fiddle we got from a guy on Deer Isle. But, Richard's got a really nice fiddle, and when I play it for very long, I have a hard time going back to the others. I've been considering my life lately, and one area I want to improve is my fiddling. I just love playing the fiddle, but want to have better technique, style and sound. The equation looks something like this:
"Nice Fiddle + Lessons in Technique & Rhythm + Time & Energy Invested in Practicing = Great Contradance Fiddler"
So, I started taking lessons and studying with a GREAT contradance fiddler... and I've been trying out some fiddles and learning what makes a great fiddle... and I've only got one more week of work. IT'S REALLY HAPPENING. All things are working together, the vision is becoming a reality, and in very short time I will be focusing a lot of time and energy into practicing and playing a great fiddle, applying principles and techniques learned from a great fiddler. I think there may indeed be a buffalo right around the corner!
Hunting the Buffalo comes from the Portland Collection.

No comments: