Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Ruby Throated Hummingbird


This sketch from yesterday afternoon made me think of the way people see things, and how we try to describe them to one another. This ruby throated hummingbird, for example, does not have a ruby throat. To someone who didn't know what this bird was, it might be a point of contention that the description is incorrect, that it might be a hummingbird but the throat is actually green. To the person who knows about the ruby throats, the name is just a name, not a description - they also know that this bird is the female. Sometimes, conversations between two people wind up being difficult, I think, because the names and descriptions we put on things come from our different backgrounds and perspectives, neither one being right or wrong completely. I tend to want to state my case and prove, not so much that I am consumately correct, but that my perspective is as valid as the other persons. It's hard to let go of that, but I think I at least recognize what I'm doing these days! That's a start :)

No comments: