Friday, February 24, 2006

Snookered

As I was reviewing previous posts, and comments, I realize that I may have misled some of you into thinking that R and I are celebrating our first WEDDING anniversary this weekend... not true!
It was a year ago tonight that we recognized mutual interest, and that is what I was referring to as a marking of our first year together. Here's the story, for those of you who are interested.
Last year, I had made some personal resolutions to set my course toward living more responsibly, being more considerate of resources (environmentally as well as personal time and money), to be more focused on music (especially fiddle playing), and to get back into contradancing. For me over the years, contradancing seems to be sort of a hub in a wheel of other activities I like being involved with. The people that I meet there seem socially conscious, live with an awareness of their surroundings and their health, and in general promote a greener existence for all. I'd gone to a few dances over the previous fall, and in January had seen R at the Bowdoinham dance... that brief encounter sparked interest for me. Then when I saw R at the Whitefield dance (one year ago tonight) the interest seemed mutual. We dance, we talked about playing fiddle, and shared tunes we'd been working on. All the way home that night, and the next day, and over the weekend I kept thinking of times I'd talked with R over the years, and compiled all of my limited knowledge of him... kind of sizing him up in my mind. And at some point over the weekend, I found his email address and sent him the names of a couple of tunes I'd been playing... in retrospect I think it was my way of saying "Do you want to be friends?" He responded, and we emailed, got together and did end up getting married (April 21st). Hope this clarifies what may or may not have even been on your minds! At least I feel better for getting it straight!
So tonight we're going to celebrate that we're together, that we're committed to one another and the relationship, that we're on this journey together and that following our instincts a year ago and throwing caution to the wind was one of the very best decisions we'ver ever made.

No comments: