Sunday, April 15, 2007

Packo's Jig

The suitcase is out, the laundry is done, the list has been made... now it's time to PACK THE BAGS! This is part of the excitement of going on vacation... trying to anticipate how much to take, and how much can be left behind! It's always a challenge to travel light enough to have fun, but take enough along so I don't need to go out to a nice restaurant in Teva's and the one skirt I've worn four times already, hahahaha :)
The word from the new resident of California is to bring warm clothes for when we go out on the bay (we're planning to do a boat tour) and also enough summer clothes because it's hot inland!
I've decided to check one major piece of luggage. When I'm going on a short weekend trip, I don't always do this because I don't want to be stranded without clothes & essentials, or be delayed at baggage claim. But, this trip is long enough that if the suitcase gets "lost" it can be delivered the next day... and I'll bring a change of clothes along in my carry-on. And what am I using as a carry on? My fiddle will accompany me, safely stored in an overhead compartment. And I have a good sized "pocketbook" which in reality is a business sized multi-compartment bag that can hold the following:
One Change of C lothes
My Current Novel "Before You Know Kindness" by Chris Bohjalian
Mind expanding reading material, currently contradance organizing
Notebook, Pens, Sketch Pencil
Cell Phone
Planner/Calendar/Address Book/Phone List
Wallet
Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Q-Tips, Bottle of Water, Healthy Snack
These things are essential to a day of traveling by airplane. The other things are less tangible but equally (if not more) important, and those are:
Patience
Attitude of Gratitude
Generous Listening
Find the Good in Every Situation
Be Ready for Adventure
It has been quite a while since I've traveled by air, and I'm so excited to be making this journey to see B in his new life. We have so many fun ideas for activities to do together... things he has been waiting to experience with family, things he has found and wants to share... mostly just doing it all together with a spirit of wonder and adventure! Faithful readers will be happy to know we'll be able to post photos and travel stories throughout the coming week.
Packo's Jig can be found in the Lighthouse Collection.

No comments: