Thursday, April 26, 2007

Rakes of Mallow

We're home after a long day of traveling! We had the opportunity to give up our seats on the flight out of Sacramento and get booked on a different flight... we ended up with great travel vouchers to use on another trip! The change got us into Manchester NH a little earlier than originally planned, but we still had to wait for the luggage... so it was about 3:30am Wednesday when we got into Augusta. Instead of going home and driving back, I decided to have R drop me off at the office since I had to be at work for 6:30 anyway. This gave me time to shower and nap... I was pretty tired at the end of the day! I thought I'd get home and crash hard but...
... the sight of a grassy yard clear of snow inspired me to start raking! Wednesday has typically been my low energy afternoon/evening and I don't get a lot of stuff done around the house, so I was pretty surprised to have this burst of energy! We made a little campfire, raked the yard between the kitchen and the garden, and cleaned out the perennials in front of the greenhouse (finding some beautiful crocus in bloom)... Richard made hamburgers which we ate outside in the quiet of our yard. After dinner we took a walk out around the property, listening for bird sounds and enjoying the fresh air.

Raking is an activity that feeds my soul. It is a purely selfish activity that I do for myself because I get such a deep sense of satisfaction knowing that my little corner of the world is tended and cared for... and that helps me feel grounded and inspired to tend other areas of my life too.

Rakes of Mallow can be found in the New England Fiddler's Repertoire.

No comments: