Sunday, September 30, 2007

Star Quadrille

My interests are many, and varied. Music and family top the list but I also enjoy gardening, cooking, home projects, and quilting! One of my goals when I got done work at Club-E was to make some quilts. I have a lot of fabric that I've collected over the years... I love colors and patterns, so when I go into a fabric store for something, I quite often leave with an arm load of cotton. I've managed to set up my sewing machine (a Janome Memory Craft 3000 that I got years ago) and prepared all my fabrics (washed, dried, sorted by color family), and today I did some log cabin potholders. I had a lot of fun putting colors together and creating something beautiful and useful (have you ever heard me use the term "form and function"?) Let's just say that I had a lot of fun, on a recreational non-professional level.
Now, there are some pretty amazing quilters running around at what I would call a professional level, and one of them is my mom. She does some of the nicest stitching I've ever seen, and her designs are wonderful. This weekend she had the opportunity to spend time at a retreat in Rangeley with other quilters... all gathered and focused on, you guessed it, quilting! I'm looking forward to hearing her account of her weekend.
Some of the women I work with at the Apple Shed are also quilters. It's funny how when you set your mind to thinking about something, and when you decide to do it, and you arrange your life to allow it to happen, there are cosmic forces at work helping you along. The inspiration and conversations with my mom, and the ladies at work, all work together to help me focus on doing some sewing of my own!
Star Quadrille comes from Century Reel.

No comments: