Friday, September 28, 2007

Through the Gates

... is not where I was able to go this afternoon! When I got home from the Apple Shed, I found a tree across our dirt road. This particular tree was rotten, and so I suppose it just fell down, maybe heavy from the recent rains and maybe a little off it's own balance from the wind. At any rate, there it was, laying neatly across the road preventing anyone from coming or going by vehicle. I moved some smaller pieces but was unable to budge the most significant part of the tree so I walked in to the house, knowing that I would have to allow a few extra minutes when I went out later. Apparently our neighbor was home and heard the crash, and she went out to try and move the tree but also wasn't able to do so. She called her husband to come home and get it out of the road, which he did... so when I went out later it was gone.
Having to walk in to the house (only 1/10 of a mile) was no hardship, but it did offer the thought of parking out there and walking in more often... it's a really nice dirt road we live on, especially this time of year because there are all these leaves skittering about!
We have talked about trimming back the brush and limbs along our little road, to clear space under the power lines. We'll wait until the leaves all fall, leaving us with limbs and branches but hopefully not too much for leafy brush to take care of.
It was really nice when I got home to be able to drive "through the gates" all the way into the house, especially when it's really dark outside.
Through the Gates comes from the Portland Collection Volume Two.

No comments: