Saturday, January 26, 2008

Midwinter Waltz

My screen saver scrolls through my photographs and this one popped up and caught my eye this morning, I thought I'd share it.The photo was taken when Richard and I lived in Augusta and walked along the Kennebec Rail Trail. The trail was convenient for us to use and gave us a nice two-mile walk away from the city streets. A lot has changed since our early days of marriage nearly three years ago, I'd say all of it for the better as we learn more about one another.
It is mid-winter here in Maine and though we are somewhat limited in our overnight excursions (we must keep the wood fires burning to keep the house warm) we are happy not to have to purchase heating oil. We also have the benefit of the sun when it shines brightly, it warms our spaces thanks to efficient design elements throughout the house.
Even as conversation begins to turn toward spring and which seed catalogs have been received, it's nice to just look out the window and take in the beauty of the season- a fresh dusting of snow on the evergreens, tracks where deer have come foraging near the porch, and the pinkish early morning light peeking through the gray branches of leafless trees.
Midwinter Waltz comes from the Waltz Book (first and un-numbered volume).

No comments: