Monday, February 04, 2008

Arizona

We watched the Super Bowl last night, as did probably millions of people, not just Americans and not just in America. Richard and I hadn't gotten into the big hype of the game prior to yesterday, but we did have it on our calendar. I went and watched the first half with my sisters and brothers-in-law on the big screen with lots of snacks (some healthy veggies as well as some yummy other things), a couple of beers and lots of cheers and moans. At half time we all retreated to our own homes to watch the Pats lose to the Giants. Bummer. And life goes on.
I guess my point is that for me football is fun and it's an important social activity but it doesn't occupy all of my mental space or energy. I'd gotten stressed earlier in the week about not being able to focus, focus focus on studying and it just generated more stress. This past weekend I've done some studying, some neighborhood socializing, some work at the bakery, some family time, a little music and some down time with R... a nice balanced mix. And I'm still ready for classes today, and I've stayed connected with my life for the most part, and I didn't trade watching the game for another read-through of chapter three. It's good to just have some fun.
Our phone rang early this morning, it was Avery calling me to talk about the Giants big win. He'd chosen the Giants because he liked their blue shirts, and even though they didn't wear blue last night, he still knew which team they were and recognized their blue helmets- pretty perceptive for not quite 3. He compares the winning and losing of the Super Bowl to playing Candy Land :) Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't but it's still fun. And life goes on.
Arizona can be found in the second volume of the Portland collection.

No comments: