Monday, November 07, 2005

Flying Clouds

I thought the cloud patterns late this morning were quite interesting. There were different layers and colors, and the whole scene changed before my eyes as we were driving north. The sky itself was a beautiful shade of sky blue (hence the name of the color I guess) and then these clouds varied from really white and soft looking to dark gray and almost angry.
Richard and I had been in the Topsham and Bowdoinham area revising a soil test and also visiting with Richard's mom (we got to have fresh coffee and fabulous muffins, thank you!) and were driving up the highway when the sky scene caught my eye.
'Flying Clouds' is an old time standard that changes key from the A to the B part. For anyone not familiar with contra dance tunes, there is almost always at least an A part and a B part. Each is 16 measures long, and the dances are written and executed accordingly. Changing keys makes the tune really interesting to listen to, and seems to me to change the energy as the dance progresses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the cloud formation. Made me want to sit right down and paint it.
Beautiful! Betty

Fiddler said...

You'd get it just right, all the colors and swirling patterns... I just love all the paintings you've done...