Friday, April 07, 2006

Start Doing, Then Thinking

I sometimes get bogged down in thinking about the things I want to accomplish. "What is the best way to do this?" or "Should I do this first or that?" You know, those sorts of thoughts. The times when I find myself highly productive and feeling my best is when I'm DOING things. Action and results motivate me like nothing else. Now, I'm not suggesting that continual activity is good without some thought and planning, but I am reminding myself that only so much planning is necessary. For me, knowing my 'big picture', identifying a few long term and short term goals, and being firmly settled into my values is really enough to let me know whether an activity is worthwhile. And any worthwhile activity is worth DOING, now.
We've been very busy moving and settling into the new house. The past couple of days I haven't felt very productive, in fact when I got home Thursday afternoon, I napped for a couple of hours, which is not like me. I'm not going to let myself feel bad about it though, I think I needed the rest physically, and probably mentally. This morning I am full of positive energy! I don't have a list of stuff I want to do, but I just feel like it'll be a day full of accomplishment... and for me that isn't work, it's pure joy! As I get things done throughout the day, one thing that really helps is to have my little notebook handy to write down thoughts and ideas, note the things I want to get done next, and keep me 'on track' so I don't get distracted too far off course. Speaking of doing, it's time for me to get ready for work... have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find a small notebook in your pocket to be a very handy item indeed. I've stopped along the road a lot lately to jot down thoughts as they come to me. It seems a better journal when you write as you think, rather than try to sum things up at the end of the day. Stuff passes through my mind so quickly I've got to catch it quick or it gets away!

Anonymous said...

I'm an over planner too... we've been talking and talking about miscellaneous home renovations for a long, long time now. Although this is my career... I'm somehow paralyzed by fear to make decisions regarding my own home. Then one day while little A and I had gone to the home improvement store for paint... hubby went crazy with the sledghammer. Nothing like serious demo to kick you in the pants and get you DOING instead of TALKING!!! Definitely something to be said for doing!