Monday, April 03, 2006

Turkey in the Straw


We have several stone walls on our property, really nice ones that are in good shape. They're hard to get to though, because of underbrush and overgrowth. There's a great stone wall bordering the road coming in to the driveway that I want to get cleaned up... partly because it would look really nice, and also in part because the power line runs along that area. Quite a little job to clean it all out. My uncle had a similar situation (minus the power line). He thought of a way to let nature help him out, with only a little intervention on his part. We've decided to follow suit and see how it works here. The trick? Cracked corn and wild turkey. My uncle spread some cracked corn along his stone wall and the wild turkeys came along and in their search for the corn, managed to scratch at the dirt and brush to the point where they totally cleaned out along both sides of the stone wall. Looks great! We'll report on our results as we see, and hear, them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How goes the turkey training? Are they hard at work yet?

Fiddler said...

I saw two turkeys Saturday afternoon along the stone wall on PNA (Pine Needle Alley)... They didn't seem too fazed by my driving in, and they ungracefully waddled themselves over the stone wall into the woods went I went by... I'll set out more corn...

KMR said...

What a good idea, I have a million stone walls, maybe I'll try that. I was wondering what you were getting at at first, when you mentioned wild turkey. I thought you were going to go out and get good and drunk first. *snort*