Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Flowers of Spring (and Summer)

The recent thaw had me thinking about spring and garening... yeah, yeah, I know "Look outside!". Yesterday's snowfall is no deterrent for dreaming though. Our lifestyle is a little too busy right now to think about big crops, or bulk canning and preserving. I do like having fresh salads, and fresh veggies on the table though. And these sunflowers (photo from the MOFGA web site) are really cheery too, perfect for the north edge of the garden. Where will we plant this year? We still aren't sure, but we do have a backup spot at Bryan's Fayette property if we don't end up with land of our own this spring. It's been a few years since I've worked the soil, but those lessons have not been forgotten. I haven't forgotten the joy of digging in the dirt, the therapeutic process of pulling weeds, or the quiet meditative moments reflecting on the colors and textures of the various leaves. And then there's the harvest~ one fresh green bean as a snack or a basket of them prepared for canning~ it's all good! Where do you get your seeds? We've had a short discussion about Johnny's, Lehman's, the local feed store, and the grocery store supplies... and I think I've ordered from MOFGA or something affiliated years ago. Cost is a factor, but so is reliability of the seed. Any ideas out there?

2 comments:

Fiddler said...

Oh, that's funny! I don't think so, anyway I determined I didn't need anything at Wal-Mart this year, so that's out...

Tonya said...

I love seeing something "alive" in the dead of winter. Refreshing to see considering we are currently getting some snowfall! :-)