Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Medicine Bow


This is the end of my old bow... it broke a few years ago when I was playing at some friends' house. I had set it aside on a shelf during a break, and had not released the tension. The bow either a) snapped, and that caused it to spring off the shelf, or b) it actually fell of the shelf and broke on impact. We never really were sure. Bottom line is, I've replaced the bow and had kept the broken one... anticipating that it could make an unusual and very cool curtain rod! Richard's had his eyes on this broken bow and has been thinking about ways to repair it. I'd had it looked at and was told it would be fairly expensive with no guarantee, so I gave R the go ahead to see what he could do. This weekend, he decided to use 2 part epoxy, followed the instructions to the letter, and tried out the bow... SNAP, Not Good! Not one to give up easily (he hasn't given up on me yet either), he tried it again, and it held. I used this bow last night at Fiddle-icious practice, used it moderately hard, and it's still looking good. Great job Richard! And for all of you out there, whether it's a bow, or anything else you've all but given up hope for, think about it and give it a try... and don't give up too soon. You never know, you may breath new life into something. The only down side? No curtain rod, haha...

No comments: