Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Woodchopper's Reel




Our little pile of fire wood is keeping our kitchen warm these days. We have a Vermont Castings Intrepid tucked into the corner on a brick hearth, and Richard has been keeping it brightly burning. It's such a cozy feeling to come home at the end of the day, and be greeted with the cheery flickering of flames, the smell of a wood fire, and the warmth that only a wood fire can give off.
Richard and I primarily heat with oil, and have a forced hot air system in this old house. The wood stove is supplemental, but in the event of a power outage it would be crucial to keeping things from freezing up and to keep us warm. And even though it's just a little stove, putting out a little heat, it creates a BIG sense of contentment. It is hard for me to imagine living without a wood stove of some sort, I think there have only been a few times in my life when I didn't have wood heat available, and I really missed it.
We are looking for land, and plan to build our own home in the near future. A centrally located wood stove will emphasize our goal of self-sufficiency, practicality, and 'home-grown' lifestyle. I suppose it is practical to have a more 'mainstream' heat source, but I still like the idea of heating with wood!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how many fiddle tune names you know... and how you can work a title into almost every blog post! Wood heat is so nice, I agree.

Fiddler said...

Working the tune names into blog posts is helping me learn more names... And encouraging me to play more different tunes... It helps going to the jams too, I'm exposed to way more than if I just sat here and played on my own :) As for wood heat, nuthin' like it, ayuh!