Sunday, August 27, 2006

You're Only as Good as Your Last Gig


Tonight was the last pizza jam at the Emporium in Readfield... this has been a regular event all summer on the 2nd and 4th Sunday evenings. For whatever reason (and we have many) we had not yet attended one of these jams, even though it is only 10 minutes from our house! I am so happy to have been in attendance this time. The Emporium will still be open for dinner from 5:00-9:00 Wednesday through Sunday, they make the absolute best pizza as far as I'm concerned... barbecued pulled pork, chicken pesto to name a couple of my favorites. The atmosphere is fun and casual, and the owners spend time getting to know their regulars. The jam session tonight was well attended, and the non-jammers were just as plentiful... the place was packed! A lot of our fiddling friends were there so it was not just good music and good food, it was fun company with a lot of conversation and laughs in between tunes. This wasn't our last gig ever, but it was the last Emporium gig for the season, and probably my last gig for a few days until my thumb heals up... the now famous splinter is scheduled for removal tomorrow morning. I've been careful not to use that part of my thumb to pick things up, but every once in a while I forget, and am SUDDENLY AND PAINFULLY reminded that yes, I still need to get it removed. We'll host our regular Tuesday jam this week, and see how well I can fiddle!
You're Only as Good as Your Last Gig comes from Jerry Holland's Collection of Fiddle Tunes.

No comments: