Saturday, February 17, 2007

Bird in the Tree

This weekend is the Great Backyard Bird Count! It's easy, it's fun, and it gets you outdoors connecting with your natural environment, wherever that may be!
I went out this morning at 7:00am on snowshoes, stopping to listen and look for birds. This is the first time I've been out on the snowshoes this season, and there was plenty of snow to slog through... a good workout! The weather conditions are mild... sunny, blue sky with some high clouds, temperature about 17'F, light wind... very nice.


I heard chickadees in each of the three locations I stopped at. I heard another bird that I have not yet identified, I'll attempt identification throughout the day. I did see tracks in the snow... deer, rabbit, mouse... the fresh snow serves as an empty palette for natures art with animal footprints, sprigs of pine needles, an occasional cone and a few brown leaves... add some shafts of early morning sunlight and it's just the most peaceful, beautiful place to be, out here in the woods.

Bird in the Tree can be found in the Fiddler's Fakebook.

For more information on the Great Backyard Bird Count, go to http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc

No comments: